Welcome to the World of Horseracing
LOSS for the 2016-17 Jumps Season = £40.87
from wagers on 55 individual races (6 winners, 12 placed)
Total Staked = £609.00
Since March 2010, this blog has recommended wagers on 520 individual races on Jump Racing in the UK, at cumulative stakes of £5,726 - which has resulted in a PROFIT of £1,525.39 equivalent to a Return on Investment of 26.60%.
Wednesday, 8 February 2012
Patience is a virtue
Another day with no jump racing today. With the weather forecast looking bleak, and temperatures expected to drop below minus-10 degrees Celcius over much of the UK between now and Sunday, it is in all likelihood that we won't have any racing (other than on the all-weather tracks) before Monday. As I write, both Huntingdon and Taunton meetings for Thursday have been called-off and abandoned.
Basically, if you are a punter who (like me) is not a fan of the all-weather then I suggest you leave it well alone and wait for the weather to change. Yesterday, I was tempted to have a wager on the 3:45 at Southwell as I thought Caldercruix held an excellent chance in what looked an open race over 6-furlongs. I was lucky in that I took 8.20 on the exchanges early in the afternoon, and then laid-off my stake at 5.40 just before the off for a no-risk wager. Caldercruix missed the break (he was expected to run prominently thru'out) and was forced to run wide around the turn into the straight. Altho' he stayed on well he was never going to win after fluffing the start, but he did manage to snatch 3rd close home. For me it was a lucky escape from a losing wager and a lesson learned.
I wrote yesterday about Bog Warrior and I've learned this morning that he is also entered for a 2-mile chase at Leopardstown on the Saturday (as well as the Dr PJ Moriarty chase on Sunday over 2m4f). His trainer seems more inclined to go for the Saturday race, I'm not sure as to his reasons why. If jump racing does go ahead in Ireland this weekend, those horse that compete will be holding a fitness edge over those here in England that are unable to race having been aimed at the weekend programme. I have today's copy of the Weekender with the weekend's entries, and I shall be noting those horses whose plans include a Festival target – they need a prep run, and soon.
I have titled this page "patience is a virtue" and the reason is do not be hustled by the devil on your shoulder to get involved in Cheltenham Festival antepost markets unless you are sure of plans involving your selection. I have advised wagers on a couple of Festival races (and one advice has more than halved in odds already following a good win in his prep race) but I'm holding fire on any more just yet, pending this weekend's racing in Ireland. The Cheltenham Festival Bulletin is well under-way (about 60% complete) with a target date for despatch (by email) to those who have made a contribution to the blog of at least £5 during the past 12 months. So, if you want to be included in the mailing list, you know what to do.
No selections today.
Thanks for reading this blog to all new visitors, and I hope that readers of the blog get enjoyment from it.
The blog takes a lot of effort to maintain. If you have had a successful wager on the back of what you have read here, then please make a contribution (via the donate button) as an expression of thanks. Those that do will be rewarded with occasional supplementary information.
All comments are welcome.